Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children over the past 30 years. Nearly one third of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. And these staggering numbers are growing at alarming rates, causing many health specialists to wage war on childhood obesity. Obesity in children can have dire consequences, like stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer. So far, the most effective weapon against obesity is to simply change the food that children eat, to be more healthy, substantial and nutritious. However, many children are resistant to changing their diets. They view many of their healthy options, like fruits and vegetables, as unappetizing. Luckily, there are a number of snacks that not only taste great, but also are fun to eat and are full of nutrients. Here are 5 natural and healthy snacks that kids will love.
- Ants on a log are a fun, classic favorite that kids will love. All you need to make ants on log are sticks of celery, peanut butter and raisins. Cut the celery into sticks, spread on the peanut butter and sprinkle on some raisins (ants). This is a great dish to prepare and put into your child’s lunchbox or backpack for a healthy, refueling snack.
- Yogurt popsicles are another great natural and healthy snack for kids. Find a good natural yogurt, some berries, and mix it all together. Place the mixture into paper cups, put a wooden stick in the center, and put into freezer. After a few hours, you’ll have healthy, delicious snack that was easy to make and has lots of nutritional value.
- Another healthy, natural snack is homemade trail mix. Combine some nuts, seeds, dried fruit and maybe even a few chocolate chips. The snack is perfect, because it can boost your child’s energy levels, especially if they lead an active life. Keep a little baggy in their backpack at all times in case they get hungry and need a little pick-me-up.
- There are also a lot of wonderful, natural and healthy snacks that you can buy at the market. For instance, Kays Natural Snacks has some great options, like natural pretzels, protein chips, puffs, cookies and more. Sometimes your child will be more inclined to try a more healthy alternative by purchasing it at a market, because they might conditioned to trust something that is packaged versus something that is home cooked.
- And this might not seem like an entirely healthy option, but pizza – provided that you make it at home with the right ingredients – can be a great healthy option. The pizza option might also be an excellent way to win your child’s trust – in order to teach your kids that healthy doesn’t always mean the food will taste bad. Sometimes the best way to get your child to eat more healthy options is to show them that they can eat many of the same snacks that they ate before, but with alternative options combined, like vegetables and other nutritious toppings. In the end, getting your children to make healthier decisions will make them feel happier and more productive.